There comes a point in the development of every business that you have to consider whether to bring new skills in-house via recruitment, or consider outsourced services. Outsourcing development services for your business brings an extra dilemma i.e. whether to choose onshore or offshore development companies.
Without any doubt, in a globalised online world, your options to outsource website development are limitless.
However, Performance Web know from our clients’ bitter experiences how hard-won profit can be eaten into when transferring web services to offshore outsourcing companies, which can turn into a false economy. Some of our clients come to us after going for ‘budget options’ from companies based overseas, only to find that they may need to re-build their websites from scratch, costing more in the long run.
If outsourcing is your current dilemma there are a number of advantages of outsourcing within the UK which we recommend you consider to ensure you make the right decision for your business.
- Credibility and Professionalism: It’s always good to meet face to face with a new partner and/or client. By using a company in the UK you are guaranteed to be able to meet in person or talk on the phone within the same time zone. A visit to the office of your outsourced partner of choice is recommended as you will get to witness their operation/set up and staff.
- Transparency: Company checks on a partner you are considering to use is easy if it’s within the same country as yours. Companies House is a great way to start your due diligence.
- Confidentiality: UK jurisdiction is very tight and so by outsourcing your development projects to a UK development company you know you’re safe in any legal aspect should problems occur.
- Risk Management: Understanding your web development partner through consistent communications and shared values mean that you are potentially saving time and reducing risk from the outset.
- Scheduled Deliverables: Almost all web development projects can experience delays. The reasons for why this happens are numerous (volume of work, additional features, technical support problems etc) – having the convenience of a partner that is geographically accessible can ease communication channels and potentially provide a more transparent escalation path to remedy delays before they become a costly problem.
- Cross Service Connectivity: If you outsource other parts of your business (IT service providers, marketing, web design etc) then it is imperative that your new webdev partner is able to integrate with ease with your already established partners. Being within the same time zone can reduce the risk of time delays.
We hope that we have given you some food for thought when deciding whether to go for what seems like cheaper offshore outsourcing v’s onshore outsourcing.
Web development is becoming increasingly richer in functionality and complex in design and build. Search engine optimisation, security vulnerabilities, best practice coding, database design and the increasing choice of CMS platforms all need to be considered by your web development partner. Regardless of whether you choose onshore or offshore we recommend investing time in choosing a partner that is professional, reliable, established, proactive and consultative in their approach to maximise the return on your investment.
If you have any questions about our onshore software development services then please get in touch.